Canal Alliance is looking for volunteer to help community members during the upcoming tax filing season. Don’t know that much about taxes? Don’t worry — you’ll get specialized training in basic tax preparation.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people with low-to-moderate income, senior citizens, persons with disability, those who have limited English proficiency and others who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. All taxpayers get one-on-one help from IRS-certified volunteers who prepare their taxes for free.
The tax site will operate every Saturday, starting on February 4, 2023 from 10am – 4pm and will end on April 15, 2023.
Skills and Requirements
- Must be able to commit to at least 4 hours each Saturday starting from February 4 to April 15 from 10am – 4pm.
- Fill out Canal Alliance forms through DocuSign, forms will be emailed by Volunteer Coordinator.
- Must be 18 years or older to volunteer.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is a plus but not required.
- Tax Preparer: You will directly provide free tax preparation services to low income community members using IRS-approved software.
- Greeter/Screener: You will be directly welcoming taxpayers, assisting with filling out forms, and providing general information.
- Attend Canal Alliance and IRS virtual tax trainings.
- There will be a virtual orientation on Friday, December 9th for new volunteers to go over the VITA standards of conduct set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Our staff will provide the details over email.
- You will be trained by an IRS tax instructor and receive IRS training materials. Tax prep trainings will take place on January 7, 14, and 21, 2023.